Community My Account Help
Community Forums

Register Login

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:37 am 

Good day folks,

I have no idea what Vanguard EMU crafting will be like, but with the amazing working eing done, I am sure it will be damn fine, and hopefully close to what we saw on live. In an effort to preserve information I provided to others in the past while playing Vanguard, I will endeavor to get as much of the info here as possible. So without further soapboxing, here is my guide.

As Exmortis in Vanguard that was, I had shared my experiences in levelling up crafters from 1-50. I had 6 journeyman crafters in Vanguard, and over that time refined my levelling process. It is based entirely on quest XP maximization, the XP for making quest items is often so low or zero, so I do not even consider it.
I am not saying it is the best nor the only way to level up, but it is how I have come to level all my crafters, this is not a walk-through, but an high level over view of my levelling.

Step 1: IoD character creation/start
Level 1-10 Just do the IoD quests, I fully recommend you start ALL characters you intend to craft with on the Isle. IoD is the best place to start a crafter, but not absolutely needed. The Isle gives you a great start, awesome Kojan faction base and the best overall starting crafting gear you can get.

Step 2: Get your specialization
Once off the Isle you need to get Level 11, so work a few WOs to get the XP needed. Go to a city with trainers on your home continent, Hub/starter cities all have trainers (Tanvu, Khal, Tursh, and hubs of Ahgram and New Targonor). You need to do your crafter specialization quest, essentially this is where you decide our final crafting class (i.e. blacksmith becomes weaponsmith).
You can if you like, do your amateur tier quest at this time as well, or wait it matters little.

Step 3: Do your continental style quests
Now it is time to get the other two continental styles. You do not have to do the style for your home racial continent (i.e. If you are a Thestran race you only need to do Qalian and Kojanese style quests). Never get more than one of the quests at a time.
Qalia: See Sajin Callash in Ahgram.
Kojan: See Milakesh Noradu in Ca’ial Brael
Thestra: See Linnike Velra in New Targonor

Step 4: Do tier quests
You must now do all three continental amateur tier quests so you can make any continental styled gear. Never get more than one of the quests at a time.
Best to visit a major hub city, craft trainers should give you the quest to visit the proper quest NPC.
Every time you enter a new tier you will have to do the tier quest for each continent (levels 11, 21, 31, 41 currently)

Step 5: Work order start to set skills and achieve level 16
Now you need to get your level and set any skill points. Make sure you watch progression, locking skills when they get too far ahead. I recommend and followed the ideal that each crafting skill should be kept as close to each other as you can. Remember to set your opposite specialization skill to minus (i.e. if you choose to be a weaponsmith, set armorsmith to minus).
I recommend outposts here, you need 5k faction with all continental artisans so may as well start building it here, you will need to focus on Thestra and Qalia if you started on IoD. Outpost list at bottom, outposts give better faction and better selection of Work Orders.

Step 6: Local quests
You now need to hit up the local quests around the game to really grab all the best gear. Every city has some but here are off hand the best of the best:
Ahgram - Some are 21+, but great quests, revisit after early and again after level 21.
Tursh/rindol field - You may need to do some WOs for faction two of the best items are here for low level crafters, so blast off a set of WOs in Tursh then pick up local quests.
Bordinars cleft - decent quests
Hathor Zi - has a decent gear item quest
Tanvu - A must, there is a great item here
Ca'ail Brael - Fiend hunters, awesome tool quest, also can do Tawar Galen local
NT - difficult to navigate but there are good quests here in the crafters area and Docks (aside from banishers). Like Ahgram there are low level and 22+ quests here, so either make the trip twice or wait. I made it twice, and recommend that.

You will need to do a few WOs here and there to help set skills, you will level faster than you assign them making quest items, especially refining. I always recommend Batch WOs and make sure to do them to A grade each time, so pick a difficulty you can achieve A grade. Again focus on Thestra and Qalia for your 5K faction goal.

Step 7: Get level 26/27
You will most likely not hit level 26 or 27 in the above so at some point you will need to grind a few WOs
Focus on continents you have the least Artisan faction with, again Thestra and Qalia.
Do as many batch WOs as you can, may get lucky and get a Silver Sigil or two.

Step 8: Banishers/Society Quests
Now that your 26/27 time to hit up the banishers and help defeat the Cartheons and Suza. You can get starter in Veskals Exhange, Lord Tsangs and Qa Rioverbank. If you want to, you can do all three lead in quests, just do not visit the commander to finish them.
Every 2 or 3 levels hit up the WO circuit again to set skills, use XP pots to help levelling. This will be needed to set skills, I did it every 2 levels, and blasted through one full XP pot with rest XP. No idea if this will be in EMU, but for now leaving the idea of Rest and Pots in.
NT and Ahgram each have three societies when done banishers, you can join one per city. Each gives you a sweet item.

Step 9: The grind
Now that you’re in your 30s it is time to hit the outposts for WOs, housing areas are also good places. Remember to focus on batch WOs for sigils.
I only use XP pots here, so no more than 1hr of grinding per 6hrs of day time per character. You will need 44/45 before you’re done, I recommend 45.

Step 10: Dawn Sign and Shandrel
Once you hit 44/45 (I recommend 45 as you can just do it all) you have another small set of quests to do.
Hit up NT docks for the Dawn's Sign, few quests but close to a million XP to be had.
After that head to Ahgram (45 needed), and do the catalyst quest from Nelon.

Step 11: The short Grind
Now you need to bring to 48 or 49, I recommend 49. Again focus on least faction continents until you have 5k artisan in all three. Batch WOs for sigils recommended as usual.

Step 12: Magic Hold (this can be skipped, just go to Step 12)
At 48 you can do the magi hold crafter quests. If you are not 50 adventurer, have a bard run you in, or die and be dragged. This can be a pain if not 50ish as some of the quests need you to visit NPCs in the hold itself, if you’re less than 50 you can die and be corpse dragged/rezzed at each mob. Rather difficult to do under 50 so feel free to skip and return it when you are.

Step 13: Maybe Grind
You must hit 50 now. Normal WO Grind rules apply.

Step 14: Genesis
NT crafting area is where this starts. This is a must do, not only a great quest line, but the gear is out of this world. Very long quest, and very enjoyable, and will have you running all over Telon.

Step 15: The future
APW has some quest as well as is needed for the Galleon boat quest.
POTA has some quests, but you need to have access, thus 50+ adv
KDQ has some, but same as POTA.
Whatever else they add to the game

That’s it!

TIP#1: To get item upgrade recipes post Tier 2, you must buy them via a quest with Masterwork Sigil hand ins. They are rare rewards from batch WOs of A grade. Recipes cost 8 sigils when you buy them at the same tier as you get the quest (i.e. your 23 and get T3 recipe quest for sigil hand in), however once you achieve the next tier quest the recipes cost 2 less sigils (i.e. at 33 and get T3 recipe quest for sigil hand in), or 6 sigils. You have to get the quest when you achieve the tier, if you already have it just abandon and re-get it for the new value to take effect. If you are two Tiers ahead, you only pay 4 Sigils for a recipe.
TIP#2: Especially if you are a carpenter, do the boat crafting quests along the way, as well as all house crafting quests. Every crafter has a few recipes for each, but carpenter has the bulk of the boat recipes.
Thestran Crafting Outposts
Fisher's Pen, Southwatch , Veskal's Exchange, Wardship of the Sleeping Moon, Konathari Point, Charbrook Village, Deebs, Isle of Martin.

Qalian Crafting Outposts
Refugee Camp Jarru Flats, Tar Janashir, Desert Sun Outpost, Western Winds, Afrit, River Valley Outpost.

Kojani Crafting Outposts
Tawar Galan, Varryn Dunes, Deebs.

Happy Crafting!!!

***NOTE*** I will clean this up and when EMU released update it as best as I can do what we see in game.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:28 pm 

Thank you Exmortis for preserving this guide. I remember finding this after SoE finally introduced the Banisher quests. Although I already had a couple of high lvl crafters I started following your recipe for lvling up the rest of my crafters and found that you had indeed refined the art of maximizing xp gain in what was otherwise (at times) a very tedious grind.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:17 am 

Awesome! I love to see a crafting guide! I am trying to remember how I started my crafting. I was able to learn mining and quarry, but I can't figure out how to get started on blacksmithing. My character is a dwarf paladin in Bordinar's Cleft. I've tried talking to the crafting advisor, the blacksmith instructor, and the master blacksmith but no one will let me choose my blacksmith career path...

I am having an awesome time! I missed Vanguard soooo much! Thanks so much for bringing this game back!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:24 pm 

baldrith wrote:
Awesome! I love to see a crafting guide! I am trying to remember how I started my crafting. I was able to learn mining and quarry, but I can't figure out how to get started on blacksmithing. My character is a dwarf paladin in Bordinar's Cleft. I've tried talking to the crafting advisor, the blacksmith instructor, and the master blacksmith but no one will let me choose my blacksmith career path...

I am having an awesome time! I missed Vanguard soooo much! Thanks so much for bringing this game back!

Crafting is probably not up and running yet, the game is still in development.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 am 

Crafting is probably not up and running yet, the game is still in development.[/quote]
Okay...just noticed I could do the crafting training on the Island, but my other character who didn't start on the Isle was unable to pick up any crafting training.

Looking forward to testing crafting once it's in...my favorite part of Vanguard for sure :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:20 am 

I believe one of the devs was working on crafting, and he started to set up the very basics on IOD for the artificers. But that's all that's been done so far. So crafting shouldn't be tested at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:10 am 

Crafting and Harvesting training not possible in the places i tried...IoD, Khal and Hator Zhi.