Community My Account Help
Community Forums

Register Login

Post subject: New Player
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:03 am 

I discovered this game yesterday. It sounded good so I downloaded it. The setup and installation went well although it was a bit tricky. I never heard of this game before so I researched it for as much information as I could find. I was amazed there were so few people playing it. In any case once I got everything installed and working I gave it a try. It played quite well for an old game and better then some new games I've recently found. I was impressed with the large number of characters I could create. Once I was in the game I noticed right away how smooth and easy the controls were. The chat screen notified me when another player entered the game by sounds as well as typing out the name of the player. I never could figure out how to find out how many were playing however and when I attempted to join world chat that eluded me as well. I typed out /join chat, /join world but nothing happened. I'm sure directions are available but I was more interested in playing the game at that point anyway. The game has a directional compass of sorts at the top of the screen with a red line to mark when I was getting close to a quest or quest giver but seemed to only work about 10% of the time. I assume it was because I was still unfamiliar with the game mechanics. The map isn't all that good and is the weak point as far as I was concerned. One good feature of it though was it did tell what level things were in different areas. But it needs to be revamped (if possible) for better understanding of where you are and where you need to go. Overall I like the game and enjoyed playing. I made level 5 or 6 fairly quickly. The quest rewards gave me some better gear and things to sell for money. I'm looking forward to playing more and trying out some crafting next.

Post subject: Re: New Player
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:17 pm 

Whamington,
First of all, welcome to the VGOEmulator! After reading your post I just wanted to let you know that Vanguard:Saga of Heroes was officially closed a while ago. This emulator(although still named similarly) is an attempt by some talented individuals who decided to recreate the game as it was on live. That being said, this is a lengthy project, and if I had to estimate, is basically in the early Alpha stages of testing. These developers and GMs have had to basically find workarounds for bugs/issues by themselves, since Daybreak will not give them the necessary tools to make this a speedier process. I understand that this is a complicated issue, and I wont pretend to understand it fully, just stating the facts.
If it helps, I basically pretend I have been invited for early access, and am helping test the game, and /bug things that arent working. I am sure the developers could answer questions much better/more fully than I can, but I just wanted to let you know before you write it off when you encounter things that do not work yet. This is one of the best games out there, and the community that will come back to this will be wonderful. Keep checking in!
Kyndyg

Post subject: Re: New Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm 
Vanguard Community Manager

Thanks for the comments! :)

Vanguard was released in 2007, and shut down in 2014. A team of dedicated fans felt that Vanguard was one of the best MMOs ever, so they've been working on this emu ever since to bring it back to life. DayBreak's assistance would significantly speed things up, but we aren't holding our breaths...

Hope to see you online in New Telon!

Moldew